By Greg Ford
Wylie boys’ basketball program finished off its District 13-4A schedule with eight straight victories, a run that produced a playoff spot and something that surely helped a number of players earn individual recognition.
Some of them made the All-District team, a squad that also had several Wylie East players.
Standing out above the crowd were Wylie senior post player JaCoby Armstrong (MVP) and sophomore Travonta Maddox (Newcomer of the Year). Raider junior Henry Dues was named to the first team, while a pair of Pirates, junior Kameron Kelly and sophomore Myron Varmall made the second team, along with East senior Jamar Finnie.
Wylie sophomore David Strickland and East senior Da’Juan Brown earned honorable mention status.
Other 13-4A individual award winners were Lovejoy senior Jake Flaggert (Offensive MVP), McKinney North junior Jola Otubu (Defensive MVP) and Lovejoy’s Kyle Herrema (Coach of the Year).
Remaining first-team members were:
• Greenville — senior Dartannon Wilson.
• Lovejoy — seniors Trevor Eckard and Jordan Reed.
• Sherman — junior Tre Mask and sophomore J’Lynn Thompson.
• Denison — senior Daniel Batey.
• McKinney North — juniors Julion Pearre and Bryson Brown.
• Royse City — seniors Tre Hayes and Jamie Briceno.