Wylie News C & S Media
C&S Media, Inc., a Texas corporation, was formed in July, 1993 to acquire the assets of The Wylie News. Since the acquisition of The Wylie News on September 14, 1993 the Company has added four additional newspapers in Collin County, Texas. The Farmersville Times, Murphy Monitor, The Princeton Herald and The Sachse News. The oldest newspaper, The Farmersville Times began pubishing in 1885.
C&S Media is committed to providing local coverage to the communities it serves. Balanced reporting, quality advertising opportunities at competitive prices, and involvement in community events are priorities to our mission. Our management puts its investment in serving the community ahead of all else.
If you have questions about C&S Media please contact Chad Engbrock, Group Publisher, at email@example.com.
History of The Wylie News
It was just over 60 years ago that Paul Stimson first published the News on March 19, 1948.
However the first copy in the News’ archives, still in existence, is the second edition, dated March 26, 1948.
Stimson’s lead story in that edition was an announcement that prominent McKinney attorney, Roland Boyd, would speak at the Wylie Lions Club’s regular meeting. His topic: optimism on Wylie’s economic future due to the development of the Lake Lavon reservoir.
The March 26 issue also included information about the organization of The Wylie Development Company on February 5 of that year.
Also making the news was the opening of the Wil-Bar Grill (site of current Ballard Street Cafe) on Thursday, March 27. Operators Farrell Williams and Joe LaBarba stated that the restaurant would “serve only the very best of meals at the most reasonable prices.”
Annual subscription rates for in county delivery were $1.50 and out of county were $1.75. Single copy price every Wednesday was just 5 cents.
The paper continued under the leadership of Stimson for a short time until it was sold to Burton Fielder, whose name first appeared on the paper’s flag on November 11, 1948.
Fielder, a Farmersville businessman who operated that town’s funeral home, published The Wylie News until May 28, 1953.
Fielder was quick to announce local athletic events and results on the front page and used the motto “No City Has Greater Opportunities for Advancement Than Wylie,” under the News masthead.
It was during this ownership that construction of the Wylie-Plano Farm to Market road began, now known as FM 544.
On June 4, 1953, local school teacher Joe Rabb was named editor of the paper. Shortly thereafter, three local businessmen; Rex A. Housewright, Weldon McClure, and C. Truett Smith, each acquired a partnership interest in the publication. Rabb continued as editor until February 16, 1956.
In February, 1956, it was reported that members of the News traveled to the Texas Press Association’s mid-winter convention in Amarillo. The paper was awarded first place in editorial writing and third place in the general excellence category.
The motto, “Serving Collin County’s Fastest Growing City,” graced the masthead during this year.
The three men continued their venture for several years and on August 20, 1959 incorporated the newspaper as The Wylie News, Inc.
Rabb returned to the paper during this transition and again became editor, as well as president of the corporation.
Directors were Housewright, vice-president; Mrs. Minor Housewright, secretary-treasurer; and Smith. McClure continued as chief of mechanical and production.
The publication also announced its transition to offset printing in September of 1959, state-of-the-art equipment of the time.
On August 20, 1959 the paper was registered with the local post office as a 2nd class publication and began distribution via mail, as well as on the local news racks.
The paper finally had to raise its rates for annual subscriptions in January, 1961. In-county rate was increased to $2.00 for home delivery and out of county subscriptions went to $2.50.
It was during October, 1961 that the paper changed from a brief stint as a tab to its broadsheet format.
The News was again recognized for its strong commitment to journalism by the TPA, this time at the summer convention in 1964.
The paper took second place in the general excellence category and fourth place in column writing during the convention.
Just a few months later, on July 30, 1964, a well-known business first opened its doors to area shoppers. The Ladylike Shop became synonymous with Wylie, as ski fanatics from all over North Texas trekked to the downtown apparel store to ready themselves for snow-covered slopes.
The Wylie Independent School District later that year also announced its opening day enrollment of 800 students on September 3.
A new editor, Tom Tompkins, 34, was named to the newspaper on March 24, 1966. Tompkins, according to the paper, was a native to Beckville, Panola County, Texas. He had been editor of the White Settlement Tribune and West Side Leader in Fort Worth.
The mailing address at that time was noted as 114 N. Ballard.
It was on February 5, 1970 that C. Truett Smith’s “Wandering Around Wide Awake Wylie,” made its way from the front to the inside pages of the newspaper.
A noteworthy occurrence was reported by the staff on January 7, 1971. Photographer Bob Smith earned a Katy Award for best portfolio from the Dallas Press Club.
During this year resident Beb Fulkerson became a regular with readers’ morning coffee, writing various columns, including Beb’s Blabbers.
Bob Smith gained even more notoriety in August of that year with a mention of his photojournalist contributions on the regional and national level. Smith, featured in trade magazines and a south-after freelancer, also taught at Eastfield College in Dallas.
The year of 1972 saw the News begin its motto “Devoted to the Best Interest of Wylie Since 1947.” That motto was continued until 1996, when it made way for the existing motto “Covering Wylie, Sachse, Murphy and surrounding area.”
Strangely enough, where the reference to ‘1947’ came from is and probably always be a mystery, since the paper began publishing the next year.
Another journalism award was in the making in March, 1973, this time by the East Texas Press Association. The News took third place in editorial excellence at that organization’s convention.
C. Truett Smith was noted as publisher in the October 10, 1974 edition, a change from previous publishers, The Wylie News, Inc. Smith was also reported as the sole owner of the corporation at that time and the paper boasted a circulation of 1,509.
In 1975, the News’ circulation advanced to 1,650 for the annual average. That figure increased in 1976 to 1,700 annual circulation.
Eight years later, in 1983, the paper’s flag began listing its staff: Smith, publisher; Scott Dorsey, editor; Martha Justice,
office manager; Elayne Mayes, advertising manager; and Margaret Cook, circulation manager.
The paper also moved to its location at 113 W. Oak, near downtown.
Dorsey became co-owner with Smith in 1984.
Staff at the News consisted of the same crew with few additions and depletions until Dorsey was forced to retire in 1987 due to Parkinson’s disease.
Smith continued as owner and publisher until his death on August 5, 1992. His widow and long-time Wylie native, Rita Gallagher Smith, assumed responsibilities as publisher and Cook became the paper’s editor.
On September 14, 1993, the Smith publishing era ended when the assets of the newspaper were purchased by C&S Media, Inc., owned by Chad Engbrock and his wife, Sonia Duggan, of Lucas. Engbrock, a Dallas Times Herald veteran for nine years, began serving as the paper’s publisher immediately. Cook continued as editor until her retirement on July 31, 1997.
The paper was again recognized for its commitment to journalism in 1995 and 1996 by the Texas Press Association. The News took first and second place, respectively in column writing during that time. To date, the newspaper is consistently recognized by the TPA for its achievements in newspaper publishing.
In October, 1997, the News increased its visibility and size by moving into its present location, in the Heath-Woodworth Building at 110 N. Ballard Avenue.
The newspaper has remained the largest weekly in Collin County and its circulation has continued to climb to over 6,000 copies each week.
Investments in technology and the community have continued to be a priority at the paper. Its ongoing philosophy is to serve the community objectively and responsibly, while giving readers the best possible newspaper with each issue.
The News is the official newspaper of record for Wylie, Sachse, St. Paul, Lavon, Seis Lagos, the Wylie ISD, North Texas Municipal Water District, Northeast Water District and the East Fork Water District.
On April 1, 2000, C&S Media Inc. purchased The Farmersville Times and The Princeton Herald from longtime newspaperman Bob Poole.
The Farmersville Times is the oldest newspaper in Collin County
In February 2005, the company launched two new publications, The Sachse News and the Murphy Monitor.
These publications serve the citizens Sachse and Murphy and continue the tradition of balanced reporting to give readers information that affects their daily lives.
Each of these newspapers operate dynamic websites. These sites are updated with a ‘daily’ mentality, give the communities a place to find out about information that happened the night before or that day. Wylie News Online, in April 2009, had almost 70,000 unique visitors and over 1,040,000 page views.